We care for and treat people for conditions that affect their veins and arteries.
Vascular Surgery treats a wide variety of conditions that affect you veins and arteries. We also work closely with other specialist teams such as Kidney Transplant and the High Risk Foot Ulcer and Diabetic Foot Service.
We make use of many different types of surgery and other treatments.
We treat complex surgical problems. Patients are referred to us from northern and eastern Victoria as well as from interstate and outside Australia.
- Bulges (aneurysms) and tears in your aorta
- Other types of aneurym (bulges in your other blood vessels)
- Conditions that cause narrow arteries
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Superficial thrombophlebitis (an inflammation of the veins caused by a blood clot)
- Diabetic foot ulcers and other leg ulcers that affect the arteries and veins
- Tumours affecting your arteries and veins
- Aortoiliac and peripheral arterial occlusive disease (diseases that stop enough blood from flowing to your organs)
- Varicose veins
- Chronic venous insufficiency (a condition that affects the veins in your legs)
- Thoracic outlet compression syndrome (a painful condition in your lower neck and chest that's common in people who do a lot of sport)
We perform the following procedures:
- Inserting central lines (central venous catheters) and access points for dialysis or chemotherapy
- Aortic endovascular stenting including fenestrated and branched EVAR (a method for treating complex aneurysms that is much less invasive than open surgery)
- Surgery to block abnormal veins in your ovaries or testicles
Head of unit
Mr Jason Chuen
You need a referral from your GP, specialist or health care provider to access this service.
For health professionals
Find out how to refer your patient.
For urgent referrals, call Switchboard on 03 9496 5000 and ask for the Vascular Surgery Registrar.
You may have your surgery at the Austin Hospital or Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital.
Check the information you have received to make sure you know which hospital to visit. If you are unsure, call your surgical liaison nurse or contact us on the numbers below.
The Surgery & Endoscopy Centre
Level 2, Austin Tower
145 Studley Road Heidelberg
Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital
The Surgery Centre
Level 2, Centaur Building
300 Waterdale Road Ivanhoe
View location map
For clinic appointments
Contact Specialist Clinics
If you are on the waiting list and have enquiries about your surgery
Contact your vascular surgery liaison nurses
Phone: 03 9496 5775
Open hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 4.30pm
PO Box 5555
Heidelberg Victoria 3084