Visitors are currently not permitted at Austin Health sites. Find out more about our visitor restrictions and exemptions.
There are two varieties of oleander:
All parts of both plants are highly poisonous. Although potentially fatal, there have been no recorded deaths from eating Nerium oleander in Australia for many years.
There are only a few calls to the Victorian Poisons Information Centre each year about contact with oleander.
In all cases of ingestion of any part of an oleander plant, the Victorian Poisons Information Centre recommends that the patient is immediately assessed at a hospital.
The Victorian Poisons Information Centre recommends that new oleander shrubs not be planted.
Established plants may need to be removed based on concerns for safety to toddlers, for example in places where a lot of toddlers play, such as playgrounds and child care centres.
For further information about oleanders or other poisons, call us on 13 11 26.