Welcome to Advance Care Planning at Austin Health.
Advance care planning is a process of planning for future health and personal care whereby a person's values, beliefs and preferences are made known so they can guide clinical decision making at a future time when that person cannot make or communicate their decisions.
Austin Health is a leader in advance care planning within Victoria with a team that includes a Program Director, Program Manager, Clinical Lead, Advance Care Planning Clinicians, administration staff, research assistants and project officers.
The Advance Care Planning department undertakes the following work:
- Provision of advance care planning services across Austin Health.
- Provision of educational programs for health professionals and the general public.
- Research into the effects, benefits and outcomes of advance care planning.
- The development and implementation of advance care planning to the community.
- Project management and expertise for other health services to implement advance care planning using the Respecting Patient Choices® model.
- Engagement and consultation with internal and external stakeholders, including State and Federal Health Departments and numerous industry bodies.