Phone 13 11 26 (24 hours a day, seven days a week)
The Victorian Poisons Information Centre (VPIC) commenced operation in 1962. It was located at the Royal Children's Hospital from 1976 to 2008. In August 2008, the centre relocated to the Austin Hospital, to integrate with the Austin Hospital Clinical Toxicology Service.
The role of the VPIC is to provide the people of Victoria with advice about what to do if a person has been poisoned, has overdosed, has made a mistake with medicines or has been bitten/stung by a snake, spider, bee, wasp etc. For members of the public this includes telephone assessment, advice on first aid, with or without referral to a doctor or hospital. Information and advice is given to health professionals about formulations of products and management of poisoned patients.
The VPIC aims to ensure patients who are poisoned or envenomed receive the most effective treatment promptly, and prevent unnecessary visits to doctors and hospitals.