Victorian Poisons Information_banner_1

Departments

First Aid

If the victim has collapsed, stopped breathing, is fitting or is suffering an anaphylactic reaction, ring 000 for an ambulance.

Do NOT ring the Poisons Information Centre.

Swallowed poison

DO NOT try to make the patient vomit. See the Syrup of Ipecac Information Sheet.

Pick up the container and take it to the telephone.

Call the Victorian Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.

Poison on the skin

Remove contaminated clothing, taking care to avoid contact with the chemical.

Flood the skin with cool running water for 15 minutes, then wash gently with soap and water. Rinse well.

Call the Victorian Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.

Poisons in the eye

Hold the eyelids open, flood the eye with water from a cup, jug or slowly running tap.
Continue for 10-15 minutes.

Call the Victorian Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26

Inhaled poison

Get the person to fresh air quickly without placing yourself at risk.

Open doors and windows wide, if safe to do so.

Call the Victorian Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26

The best treatment for poisoning is constantly changing. Advice you may have received in the past may not be the recommended treatment anymore, considering current knowledge.

Also, many books and antidote charts are out of date and incorrect. Well-meaning friends and relatives may advise you about treating poisoning incidents, but their information may also be out of date.

Inducing vomiting was once the main treatment for swallowed poisons but we now know that it does not reliably remove poisons from the body and is often dangerous.

If you ring the Poisons Information Centre you will receive the most up-to-date advice as our information databases are updated many times each year.