The Austin ICU Research Office was established following the arrival of Prof Rinaldo Bellomo in 1994. The aim was to create an environment capable of designing, conducting, and participating in local, national and international research involving intensive care patients.
The Austin ICU research office is now a highly collegial, multi-disciplinary team of intensive care clinicians and researchers who are dedicated to providing and promoting evidence to support and improve patient care.
- To promote excellence in intensive care research and collaborative clinical research which focuses on improving patient care.
- To facilitate and promote investigator-initiated, collaborative clinical research in the Austin Hospital ICU.
- To join in and promote investigator-initiated, collaborative clinical research with other hospitals at a local, national and international level.
- To advance the education and understanding of research methods.
- Allied with those of Austin Health which include respectful relationships within the ICU, in the hospital and in the intensive care community.
- Integrity, responsibility and accountability to ourselves, our patients and the community.