Austin font exterior

About Us

Austin Hospital

In this Section:

The Austin Hospital is one of three facilities that constitute Austin Health.

Other facilities also part of Austin Health, one of Australia's leading teaching and referral centres, are:


If you are a patient or visitor seeking information on the Austin Hospital, click Patients & visitors.

If you are interested in working at the Austin Hospital, click Careers on-line.

The Austin Hospital is located at:

145 Studley Road
PO Box 5555
Heidelberg
Victoria
Australia 3084

Phone: 03 9496 5000
Fax: 03 9458 4779

Overview

The Austin Hospital is located in Heidelberg, 20 minutes north-east of Melbourne's city centre. The hospital was re-opened in 2005 after a major redevelopment (see History). It is housed in one of two new hospital towers, the other tower occupied by Mercy Hospital for Women.

The redeveloped Austin Hospital now features:

  • 400 acute beds
  • a 30-bed intensive care unit
  • one of the state's largest adult emergency units and a specialist six-bed unit for children
  • a purpose-built, 26-bed high-tech spinal unit to serve all of Victoria and Tasmania
  • infectious diseases isolation rooms in each ward
  • almost a quarter of rooms as single-bed rooms
  • en suite facilities in all rooms
  • additional and refurbished operating theatres
  • an expanded mental health precinct with 55 mental health beds, including 15 adult acute psychiatry beds, nine beds for the Mood and Eating Disorder Unit and six beds for the Parent Infant Unit
  • a unique teaching, training and research precinct including a teaching space and laboratory on each level of the Austin Hospital Tower


Austin Hospital is also home to a number of state-wide services, including:

 

History

Established in 1882, the Austin had five name changes that included the "Austin Hospital for Incurables" before becoming the Austin Hospital.

Throughout the years, Austin Hospital has always been a noted for its progressive approach to medicine and health care, and has achieved national and international recognition in many fields. Many of the clinical areas that the Austin is renowned for today have their roots in the hospital's early history.

Cancer, for example, was one of the "incurable" illnesses first patients were admitted with. In the 1920s, the Austin Hospital began experimenting with "X-ray" treatment for cancers and by 1935 the Austin was the largest cancer hospital in Australia.

Austin Health’s current cancer services at Austin Hospital and Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital will be consolidated into a comprehensive centre on the Austin site, through a capital appeal for the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Centre.

Visit the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Centre Appeal website for more details.

The Austin’s expertise in spinal injuries was developed from caring for "incurables" with paraplegia, and later in rehabilitating children who had survived polio and early victims of car accidents.

Respiratory medicine at the Austin had is origins in consumption, or tuberculosis, and neurosciences care can be traced back to early stroke victims suffering paralysis.

In 1939, the first operating theatre and accommodation for acute medical and surgical patients was established.

In 1956, the Austin's comprehensive spinal injury treatment and rehabilitation services were fully operational. Four years later the Austin Hospital became a general hospital with the opening of the outpatient and casualty block.

An affiliation with The University of Melbourne commenced in 1965 when the Austin Hospital Clinical School was established. Austin Health now hosts The University of Melbourne's departments of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, psychology and physiotherapy.

The Austin Hospital and Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital amalgamated on 1 April 1995 to become Victoria’s largest tertiary referral centre providing a broad range of patient services whilst enhancing established teaching and research profiles.

From August 1995 to 31 October 1997, the Austin was part of the North Eastern Health Care Network. On 1 November 1997, the Austin again became a stand-alone medical centre.

The Austin changed its name from the Austin & Repatriation Medical Centre (A&RMC) on 30th April 2003 to Austin Health, but its three facilities - Austin Hospital (Heidelberg), Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital (West Heidelberg) and Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre (Kew) first merged in 1995.

The new Austin Health included the Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre and the then psychiatric services at Larundel, which were transferred to the Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital in October 1999.  Renal and respiratory services originally provided by Fairfield Hospital were consolidated with Austin Health in June 1996.

The Victorian State Government redeveloped the Austin Hospital site, opening the new inpatient facility and the newly co-located Mercy Hospital for Women in May 2005. It is the largest hospital redevelopment ever undertaken in Victoria, and one of the largest in Australia. Visit the AR/M Project website for details.

The project has cemented Austin Health’s reputation as one of Australia’s leading teaching, training and research centres with some of the best facilities in the country.

New mental health facilities will be opened on the Austin Hospital site late in 2006. The facilities will include 55 mental health beds as part of an expanded mental health precinct, with 15 adult acute psychiatry beds (High Dependency Unit), nine beds for the Mood and Eating Disorder Unit and six beds for the Mother and Baby Unit. These beds will transfer from existing facilities at Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital.

Austin Health currently:

  • supports more trainee cancer researchers than any other Australian medical centre
  • has the largest number of students studying health professions on a single site outside of a university
  • has the largest veteran clientele of any Victorian public hospital
  • has the largest translational cancer research program in Australia