We care for and treat people living with disability.
What we do
The Specialist Disability Service is an outpatient clinic that is run by rehabilitation medicine physicians who have been trained to work in health and disability.
The clinic is open to people who live in the Austin Health catchment OR who are patients of Austin Health.
We aim to help you by:
- Considering all your medical conditions.
- Making sure your medications are safe and necessary.
- Reducing the risk of you needing to come to hospital.
- If you need to come to hospital, making your stay as short as possible.
- Ensuring the right people are involved in any healthcare decisions.
- Checking that you have the right disability supports in place.
- Supporting your mental health and wellbeing.
Together we can create a comprehensive healthcare plan.
What to expect
- Once we receive your completed referral form, one of our doctors will review this and make an appointment available to you. If you are not in the Austin Health catchment the doctor will contact your referrer to suggest an alternative service.
- You will receive an appointment letter by postal mail.
- Your appointment could be face to face, by telephone or telehealth
- Your appointment will be approximately 45 minutes long. If your appointment is face to face, this will happen at Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre.
- You will be seen by a rehabilitation medicine physician with experience in the care of people living with long term disability.
- Depending on your circumstances, you may be referred to other Austin Health services as well.
Support from Disability Liaison
If you would like support leading up to your appointment, or during the appointment, you can reach out to the Disability Liaison Officer (DLO). The DLO team can assist with transport, directions, a social script or individualised reasonable adjustments.
Disability Liaison Officer
Phone: 03 9490 7620
Open hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
What to bring
When you come to hospital for your appointment, you need to bring:
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Any relevant test results or reports
- Medicines you need to take while you are here
- List of medicines you are currently taking (or the boxes) including herbal supplements and vitamins
- Glasses, hearing aid, walking frame (if applicable)
- Your support person (if needed)
- Your medical treatment decision maker (if applicable), or have them available on the phone, in case a medical treatment is needed.
You need a referral from your GP, specialist or health care provider to access this clinic.
For health professionals
We require a new written referral including medical information, addressed to:
Dr Wendy Castle
Consultant Physician in Rehabilitation Medicine
Specialist Disability Service
Phone: 03 9490 7562
Open hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 4.30pm
Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre
Level 1 Clinics
1 Yarra Boulevard
View location maps