Find out how to access Emergency and the Austin Hospital main entrance.
Access to our Emergency Department
To ensure we continue to provide safe, high quality emergency care to the community during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have made changes to how you access our Emergency Department (ED).
How can I access ED?
- Pedestrian and vehicle access continues to be via the current Emergency entrance off Burgundy Street
- Traffic management staff are in place at the entrance to assist and direct you to the public drop off area
- You must stay in your car and wait for an ED nurse
- The ED nurse will ask you a few simple screening questions and then direct you where to go
- There is no short-term parking at ED, so you need leave the ED drop off zone as soon as the ED nurse provides your instructions
What does this mean for adult patients?
- You need a driver to drop you at ED. If the driver needs to come back into ED they need to drive out to the car park, park and enter ED following the signage/instructions within the hospital
What does this mean for children or patients requiring assistance?
- The child or patient and their parent or carer need a driver to drop them at ED. If the driver needs to come back into ED they will need to drive out to the car park, park and enter the ED following the signage/instructions within the hospital
What if no driver is available?
- If you don’t have another driver available in your household you may want to consider other forms of transport to ED, such as taxi or ride share services
Please note: children presenting to ED with a respiratory illness and assessed as requiring admission may need to be transferred to an alternative hospital. ED staff will be able to assist parents/caregivers with answering any questions that arise around this process.
Austin’s focus is on the safety, health and wellbeing of our staff and community, while ensuring patients can access quality and safe emergency care.
We will keep the community, patients and visitors updated about any changes. Questions and enquiries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 03 9496 3566.
Access to our main entrance
There are no patient drop offs or pick ups at Austin Hospital’s main entry via Studley Road until further notice.
The Mercy Hospital for Women’s Emergency Department entrance has been closed due to COVID-19 and can now only be accessed via the main entry.
Use of the main entry is restricted to the following;
- Mercy emergency and birthing arrivals
- Mercy urgent Medical Staff parking
- Non-urgent patient transport & neonatal transport (PIPER)
- Deliveries that cannot be rediverted to the loading docks.
Please note: there is no change to the ONJ Cancer Centre drop off / pick up area.
If you’re dropping off or picking up a patient at Austin Hospital, traffic management will be available to direct you to the car park where 30 minutes free parking for all drop offs and pick ups will be provided.
You’ll be the charged the usual parking rate for the time you are parked after the free 30 minute period has expired.