This online information package has been prepared for GPs by Austin Health's Stomal Therapy Service.
You will find information on:
- Stoma types
- Stoma appliances
- Stomal complications and management options
- Community support and information.
Role of the stomal therapy nurse
The stomal therapy nurse provides expert care and advice to patients, carers and medical staff on all aspects of stoma and fistula management.
Services provided include:
- Pre-operative counselling for all patients undergoing possible stoma formation (colo-rectal & urological)
- Pre-operative siting
- Education and support (physical, psychological and emotional) for patients and carers who have had surgery resulting in stoma formation
- Provision of relevant literature relating to stomal therapy for hospital staff, patients, carers and community health professionals
- Organisation of stoma supplies and membership to relevant associations
- Advice and management of fistula and large wounds
- Assistance and support for patients that have long term drain tubes/fistulas
- Outpatient clinics for post-operative follow-up, or general review of patients requiring stomal therapy care
- Education for Austin Health staff in relation to stoma management.
Stomal Therapy Clinical Nurse Consultant
Phone: 03 9496 4631
Pager: 03 9496 5000 (page 1182)