Austin Health's Endoscopy Unit provides day procedures for Upper and Lower Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and ERCP.
What does the Endoscopy Unit do?
The procedures we perform include:
- gastroscopy - a camera that looks at your throat and stomach
- colonoscopy - a camera that looks at your large bowel
- flexible sigmoidoscopy - a camera to look at your sigmoid (a section of large bowel)
- ERCP - a procedure that looks at your pancreas and bile ducts
- PEG insertion - a tube going into your stomach for food and medicine
- balloon enteroscopy - a camera that looks at your small bowel
- capsule endoscopy (Pill Cam) - a capsule camera that looks at the middle of your digestive tract
Our qualified endoscopists may perform other procedural actions during your procedure, such as biopsies and polyp removals.
We are part of the Gastroenterology Department where our endoscopists include Gastroenterologists and Advanced Practice Nurse Endoscopists.
Referral from your GP
All patients require an endoscopy referral form from their GP or medical practitioner to access this service.
Your doctor will need to fax your referral to 9496 2097 along with all other relevant information and clinical results for timely triage. We will assess your referral for urgency and be in contact with you in the clinically recommended times to provide you with an appointment.
What you need to bring
Every time a patient visits Austin Health
- Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Private health insurance card (if applicable/if you want to use it)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Previous x-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results or reports
- Medicines you need to take while you are here
- List of medicines you are currently taking (or the boxes), including medicines you have bought without a prescription, such as herbal supplements and vitamins
- Glasses, hearing aid, walking frame
For a clinic appointment
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- TAC or Workcover claim number (if relevant)
For a day procedure
- Responsible adult carer to stay with you to hear instructions, help you and take you home
- Comfortable day clothes, such as a tracksuit
To form stronger partnerships with our patients, we have created the My Austin Health Journey App to have you fully prepared and informed for your procedure.